Salted & Fried
Saturday, September 23, 2006
  Here in Newcastle...
OK OK here's a blog!!! haha... wahliew... I promised Abby I'd blog about my trip to chinatown but I... FORGOT TO BRING MY CAMERA so I couldn't take any photos... Instead, I will blog about my flat and my room and my flatmates!

My flat is a self catered postgraduate housing and am sharing 1 floor with 4 other flatmates. All girls. The other 2 floors are apparently all guys. 2 of my flatmates are Taiwanese (Taipei), 1 is from America (Colorado) and the other is from Canadia (Toronto). They're all taking rather art-sy fart-sy subjects like Translational English and Art galleries and museum studies and Heritage Studies and Counselling... so have a feeling I am the only geek around.

Anyway, THIS is my room before I cleaned it up this morning:



And THIS is after I vacuumed it and neatened it up this morning (I woke up at 6.30am!):





My room has 2 windows. The view I have to say is great... One overlooks the street and I LOVE the buildings here... they're all so pretty! My whole flat looks exactly like this building across the street:



The other window has a nice TREE VIEW... And sometimes nice birds will come perch there in the morning... But I dunno what birds they are! Maybe I should take up a little bit of birding... hmmm



Right outside my room is the TOILET, the SHOWER AND! Importantly, the KITCHEN. How convenient huh:



The hallway:


The kitchen:


The toilet:


The shower:


FOOD FOOD FOOD in my cupboards!





Food in my fridge:


Well that's my house!!! I hope to be able to start cooking tonight! I got almost everything I need except for FORKS... but I have a pair of chopsticks so I think it'll be OK. Tomorrow PUASA IS STARTING!!! ARGHH!!! But the good news is... the MOSQUE is giving away FREE FOOD FOR BUKA PUASA!!! WOOOWOWOWOWOW... hahaha! Have to go check it out man... hur hur hur

Today the streets were FULL of baskers of all sorts... there were pple on stilts... native red indians playing their native music in full costume... there were pple preaching and carrying signboards saying that the world is gonna end... pple singing in the streets... a live concert going on... and basically lively weekend scene... too bad I forgot to bring my camera. I'll go back down to town next weekend... or tomorrow and take photos if they're still around... My flat is so near to town! It's about 400m from the Metro station and 1km from town centre (the monument... go see photo of the monument at MY FLICKR ACCOUNT).

I got myself lost in town and stumbled across a diving shop! MAN the diving is SOOOO EXPENSIVE... it's like 30pounds for 2 dives and you have to get yourself registered with them for 25pounds and rental of gear is a BOMB... really... it costs 20pounds to rent a 7mm wetsuit... CRAZY! The waters in summer is about 17degrees... 7mm wetsuit ain't gonna cut it for me dude... there goes my hopes of trying out cold water diving...

Haiz, I miss my friends back in Singapore... we've got such a routine worked out and get things done so fast and so fun... and know what each other thinking so no need feel so awkward. I think for sure making lasting friendship is harder to do as you get older...
 
Comments:
YEAH! our system is called the haphazard-psycho (oops I mean psychic) system.

I hope you meant that the people on the streets were busking... cos basking sounds really reptilian or something.

You must be gorging yourself on chinese food right now. By the wya, isn't 4:45 a little too early to start dinner?
 
Haha...your room after clean-up looks the same!!! Hahaha... Wah, your room view so nice!! and the kitchen so spacious and clean!

Have you started lessons yet?
 
Woman, I hope THEY never find your blog; else they'll mug you in the streets! Have a great Ramadhan!
 
HAhAHA.... wahliew.. it's much better after I clean it up lah... well at least I think it is anyway hahaha... no, my lessons haven't started yet. Next week only meet Nick Pollunin and Selena Stead (my tutor). And then also pick my modules then...

Who's they? You mean the other Singaporeans ah... hahaha... actually not all of them very cheena pok lah... but got a few that always keep speaking to me in chinese eventhough I keep telling them I am not chinese and I dun understand chinese... hahaha... After talking to them more last night I thk at least half of them aren't as cheena as I tot they were... quite gentlemen also some of them got give up seats for ladies. The most cheena probably the NUS exchange students... all like the JASMINE TYE kind... (Abby - you know what I mean right? hahaha).
 
shucks. Did I suddenly get implicated into this whole thing??!
 
it's not necessarily true that it is harder to make friends as you get older, as 44 year old me got to know you more as a friend only recently. just before you left. never before have i been more interested in strange pictures of toilets and messy rooms. well never before have my other friends posted such interesting tourist pictures. eh it seems their generation dont blog or stuff. duhhhhhh. p.s. i do have other friends fyi: at least I think or imagine so. anyway maybe you will slim down a lot in a year's time, so keep posting to keep us updated and reminded on what you look like (already deleted phone book entry liao heh heh. save space mah) I hope you wont eat too much of the cows and the abundant bunnies free for the picking - what a lovely country. Yummmm
 
wa in england speak england mah. I would shudder if anyone had kept speaking to me in mandarin when I am overseas. Well I suppose some may feel homesick with such a trip and are grasping at whatever is familiar to them.. at home speak mandarin a lot, watch channel 8 etc. Reminds me of a german diver we came across at sdq who kept complaining the food was so different from what he likes, to which another diver, an american there finally told him,"I think we are no longer in Kansas, Dorothy." to the german man's utter befuddlement, and our secret amusement. Yes it was an eventful dive trip indeed. ha ha that was the same time as my dive trip at Lembeh there with you, Jani (i stayed on after you and Abby and the other bio left). Anyway nice memories of all there: we didnt scratch dig out each other's eyeballs too much, I think. p.s. that's when i saw the mimic and the wunderpuss octopii. ha ha ha. dont forget to get fit to dive soon Jani! Eat the bunnies and get strong!
 
don't eat the bunnies!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Chunky toppings of Me.

ARCHIVES
September 2004 / October 2004 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 /

PREVIOUS POSTS
  • Where did all the time go!!??!
  • Leaving for UK
  • NO-"AH-dea': Ignorance is NOT bliss
  • Abby "wants fat"...
  • Keeping track of...
  • East Africa!
  • More things left to do...
  • Accepted.
  • Moodswings...
  • MORE WAITING!! ARGGHH!!!!!!



  • Visit sister site at
    THE BLUE TEMPEH:

    More marine conservation,
    and less rubbish.


    Powered by Blogger